Tokyoskyline

Tokyoskyline

Saturday, June 30, 2012

Interview #2 - Kelvin Arca!



 We have a new interview up folks! This is a good one for sure. Today we have my good buddy Kelvin talking about his time in Japan, and we have some great pictures, and a HILARIOUS video for your viewing pleasure ;)


Introduce yourself why don't ya?
 Kelvin Arca. Nice to meet me.


Where were you born and where did you grow up?
 Philippines and I moved in the US at the age of 9.
What was it like growing up there? So I was able to enjoy my childhood prime in the Philippines. It was good! Kids are more fun in the Philippines ;) When I moved in the US, I lived in a beautiful suburban neighborhood in Missouri. I don’t know how my family ended up there, but man, I was probably the only non-white growing up over there. It was a bit brutal since English was not my first language; I got eaten alive because of my accent…But look at me now. Haha. But no, Missouri is awesome but then I moved to California for my adolescent years. California Girls are undeniable ;) It is true though…


Are you a full time student or an Exchange student?
I am a full time EXCHANGE Student.



Why did you decide to come to APU?
It is cheaper than Sophia University. HAHA. But really though, I am an International Relations major and I figured this school was perfect for me to branch out and meet people all over the world. You know, to “relate” things “internationally”.

What are your plans after leaving APU to go back to America?
Short term, then long term plans. Leaving this Fantasy Land is going to be difficult. I will be going back to the “real world” and start looking for a career. I graduate as soon as I finish my semester in APU…The only thing I need to fulfill my grad requirement is my “Study Abroad” which is obviously, taking a semester here in Nippon.



What is the most valuable thing you have learned while in Japan?
Well, I’ve heard rumors of how beautiful and nice Nihonjins are….. and it is true. I love the people of Japan. They are very helpful, nice, sweet, and accommodating even if you suck at Japanese. 


What is your FAVORITE Japanese food?
 REAL TALK: APU’s Chicken NANBAN is where it’s at. Now if that doesn’t pass as a Japanese food, then I would probably say tonkotsu ramen from Fukuoka. It is true what they say about the ramen in Fukuoka as being number 1.

How did you meet me?
Fukuoka Airport. We are in the same study abroad program so we got stuck together for the first week here in Japan…Probably got the closest with in the group (besides Miri) because we are too awesome.

What was your first impression? 
“Who the effe is this guy. He wasn’t in the Facebook Globallinks group!...Seems normal enough to talk to” To be honest, seeing the globallinks group for the first time in the airport, I just assumed that all you guys were into animes and junk. Sorry man. haha

Describe your favorite experience with me thus far here in Japan.
 Dude, we have a lot of good times. Probably anytime you, Vega, and I have our talks. We have the best conversations. Oh, and your random statements….PRICELESS.

Am I absolutely awful at Karaoke?
You are the Kobe Bryant of Karaoke…. PASS THE MIC BRO! haha! But it is always a good time for a karaoke….and it was an honor being a Backstreet Boy with you.



After knowing me for as long as you have, would you ever visit Texas to see what it was like? Why or why not.
Nope, you are visiting CALIFORNIA. West Coast; Best Coast. Hahah Nah, dude. You are one of the guys that I want to keep in touch with; no homo. And one day, when you become rich, you are going to fly me to Texas and have the best barbeques!

What inspired you to make the dance video shown below?
 I thought it was a somewhat creative way of showing Tokyo. At first, I was hesitant and shy about it…but Japanese in Tokyo DGAF about what you do. They keep to themselves so I just went all out. But it was an awesome experience I wish I would have done something like that when I went to Osaka, Fukuoka, etc. …Wish you were there, duuuuuude.




I think that video constitutes as an appropriate "song of the day"!

Thank you for reading! Tomorrow I will be posting an interview from another close friend Alex Vega. So check for that!

Follow me on twitter for updates. @Gpetticrew

1 comment: